An Outlaw Named Robin Hood

Legends say that when the boy was born, a red breasted Robin sang his song heralding the child into the world, and out of respect they named the child after him, but no one knows the truth any more. What we do know is that Robin was a very special boy from a very young age. His father was a trapper who lived for much of his life in the wilderness of southern canada, profiting of the plentiful game of the new world. His mother was indian royalty. The chief of the Waapa tribe’s only daughter. Since his father travelled constantly he grew up in the small village and was raised as a warrior and a hunter. From the time he was just a boy he was trained to move silently through the wilderness, and track game. He excelled in all his training especially archery. By the age of fifteen he was the most skilled hunter and fighter in the entire village. His prowess with a bow had become so well known that people from all over the young United States would come to challenge Robin in archery contests, and he was never defeated.

On his sixteenth birthday his father returned to the village, as he did every several months, to check on his son and wife. This time however he offered the young boy a golden opportunity, the chance to come with him and see the world outside the small village. Robin accepted eyes bright with hope for what the future would hold. Together the duo set off hunting and trapping together. They travelled together for two years and Robin learned a great many things from how to read and write in both English and French, to how to shoot a rifle. By the end of their time together Robin was something the world had never seen before. He was first and foremost a man of the wilderness, but he wasn’t entirely american, and he wasn’t entirely indian either. He was a hybrid of the best parts of both cultures, and with his fierce determination and God given intelligence there was little that could stop him.

The year was 1792 and Robin and his father were making their way back to the village of Waapa to celebrate his eighteenth birthday with his mother and the rest of the tribe. They arrived just as the sun began to set, and were greeted by a large feast thrown in Robin’s honor. Together everyone ate and drank late into the night, and a good time was had by all. During the festivities his mother approached him and presented him with a birthday present; a green hooded cloak that would help muffle his movements through the woods, and ward off the cold of night.

The next morning the village was quiet as people attempted to recover from the previous night’s festivities. One with the silence Robin  slowly crept out of the village to hunt in his new present. He disappeared into the trees and waited patiently for an animal to cross his path. He waited for most of the day in the woods, until a beautiful buck happened into a small clearing he had been watching . With one swift movement he loosed an arrow and ended the creature’s life. He then set about that difficult task of butchering the animal. He was so engrossed in the activity he didn’t notice the black plume of smoke that began to fill the sky.

He finished his work and looked up to the heavens in thanks for the generous bounty, and was greeted by smoke. He raced back to the village as fast as he could but he was too late. The long houses were on fire and many of the villages inhabitant lay slaughtered on the ground. The few that were left alive  were being rounded up into the center of camp by  americans who claimed the land as their own. The men surrounded  the villagers, with their rifles trained on anyone who moved too much. Robin froze as he took in the scene before him, watching as his mother was shoved into the growing group of people. Slowly he felt a burning rage building in his stomach and he charged forward from the underbrush with his bow drawn. He shot an arrow, but in his panicked state his aim was off and only managed to hit one of the guards in the leg. With a painful shriek the guard dropped to the ground and gave the order to fire, and in a flash of light all of Robin’s friends and family died. Filled with rage at the massacre before him Robin fired every arrow he had at the attackers, killing six men, before he disappeared into the woods.

Robin spent the next two days crying quietly in the arms of a great oak tree, as people hunted him on the ground below. On the third day he ventured down from the tree, and headed for a small town named Lipton, in search of justice from the law. He traveled through the woods staying away from the main roads incase his pursuers were still after him. He reached the edge of the settlement at dusk. He stashed  his weapons and cloak in a hollow stumpand ventured into the small town, immediately heading for the sheriff’s office. He reached the small office and stopped dead in his tracks. On the front porch a man sat reading a newspaper. The headline read “Heroic Sheriff Nottingham Lays Waste to Savages” , and pinned on the wall behind the old man was a wanted poster displaying a reward of fifty dollars for the man who killed the sheriff’s men  No one knew it was Robin, so the poster simply listed the murderer’s name as Hood. And so Robin Hood was brought into being, born of blood and fire.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s